Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Castiel and What the Heck's Going on in Heaven?

My husband started talking about Castiel over breakfast the other morning. My husband has become a fan over the last two seasons, even watching without me :)


So he mentioned that he sees Castiel as a knight, as someone who's fighting on the side of right, on the side of God's will, instead of being out to serve himself, as it seems Raphael is doing. This made me wonder, then. Why does Castiel have so few allies/followers? Because it seems like he's getting his ass kicked up there. Is Raphael promising the other angels something so they'll fight alongside him? Is he offering them something in the future if the war comes out in his favor?

If God has abandoned heaven, and the angels are fighting against Castiel, who wants what's right, how much better is heaven than hell? (I know, the tortured souls and all that, but....who wants to die and go to a place in the midst of a civil war? Which also makes me wonder about the souls who are in heaven, like Ash. Are they aware of the war? Might they join in the battle? Castiel has come to humans for help before, even raised Dean from the dead. Might he convince some of the souls to fight on his side? And could they?

So yes, this started out being about Castiel and ended up with my mental ramblings, but to me the fight in heaven is as fascinating as what's going on with Sam's soul in the cage.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm intrigued by what's going on up there as well. I want to know why Castiel is up to his shoulders in asshole angels...were things that bad under God that now he's gone they feel free to screw around? Or is this a part of some Byzantine intrigue set in motion by God because he left Heaven on purpose, that maybe this war is to wipe out the bad angels? That the good angels will be brought back or whatever once the war has been won. Or is this just fallout from Michael being in the cage?

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Oooh, great topic, MJ!

I like that interpretation of Castiel's GMC and what he's up against. I wonder how many angels there are, really, and how many are part of the war, how many just don't care.

I'd guess, based on the description of heaven for those who have died, that the humans have no clue what's going on and are only affected to the extent that maybe they have more control over what's in their personal rooms.

I can see Ash, though, serving as a guerrilla on Castiel's side, whether Cas knows it or not. :) It would be cool if his episode last season was actually setting that up (with his ability to move around into other parts of heaven), instead of just a device to easily explain the writers' concept of heaven in the context of the show. :)