Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Five Year Plan

We’re more than halfway through Season 4 of Supernatural and most fans will agree the show has really broken out. Not only are the writers penning creeptastic, old school episodes (Family Remains) like those from season 1, they’re also expanding the overall mythology and character growth.

If you’ve been following our discussions here at Supernatural Sisters you know we’re predicting something wicked this way comes, and we’re not talking about your run-of-the-mill siren or ghost. The overall feel is that the Winchesters are heading for a dark showdown--even with each other--and not only does the fate of mankind hang in the balance, so does any hope of the boys having a future.

As the show amps up, and heads into a holy war, we’re left to ponder how Kripke is going to wrap things up. It’s well known that the genius behind Supernatural has always had a five year plan for his paranormal warriors and exec producer Sera Gamble has reiterated this several times. Last year she told Sci-Fi Wire it had “been in place since the show began."

But why? Isn’t there more story to tell? According to Cynthia of SF Universe, at last year’s L.A. Con Kripke said, “Season six would be the boys go to Hawaii and meet Vincent Price and then Dean would get on a motorcycle and literally jump a shark.” The horror! While we all want more Winchesters, we certainly don’t want to see Dean pull a Fonzie.

Yet in typical Supernatural wink-wink irony, episode 4.19 is called Jump the Shark and supposedly introduces a third Winchester. Hmm…. I sense a poke from the writer’s pencil, but Natalie will give us the full scoop on that in March.

In the meantime, we have to 1) hope the CW renews Supernatural for a fifth season (THEY BETTER!!!) and 2) realize if they do it will be the last season. Kripke told E! online fans, “… you want to go out on top—when you're still creatively effective—and you tend to inevitably get a little floppy in the storytelling when you go too long. So you want to pull the plug on the patient before you get a little too deteriorated. Also, this kind of a story, that has an epic sweep and has heroes and demons and the end of the world, you want the saga to come to an end definitely, and you want to watch a final episode that doesn't peter out like a limp balloon. You want it to end so when you cut to black, you can truly say, ‘That is the end of that story.’ So, I'm really campaigning hard to do that.”

I’ll admit the idea of one more season leaves me feeling mournful. There seems to be so much more story to tell and I don’t want things rushed. However, I fully agree that storylines can be dragged out too far and shows often lose their creative punch. As a fan I want the show to go out on Kripke’s terms because I trust his vision, and he says he already knows what the final scene will be, but the idea of losing the Winchesters is unthinkable.

So, how do you feel? Should Kripke stick to his five year plan? Give us more Supernatural stories? Or, as the rumor mill has suggested, do a spin off?

18 comments:

phouse1964 said...

I am totally OK with 5 seasons. I can't imagine this being the last season. To me, it would feel rushed. In all the episodes aired so far there have been so few (what one - Bugs ?)that were bad that the writers HAVE to still have more to give!

While I can't imagine the the CW wouldn't renew SPN for one more season, they cancel good shoes (Gilmore Girls) and but on crap all the time. (Hello most of the other shows)

Not to mention that this is the only show that I am obsessed with now. My life would be so empty if there ware nothing new to look forward to.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I will sink deep into a funk when season 5 is over, but will be consoled by the five sets of DVDs on my shelf (as opposed to the 14 episodes of Firefly).

Many of the interviews I've read with Kripke over the years said four or five years. More recently he's said five, but not with total conviction. Then at the SPN con in Chicago this summer Jensen Ackles said Kripke actually only wanted to do 4 seasons, because that's what's required for a syndication deal. But that when the season premiered and ratings were so good (Jensen said "through the roof" but that's all relative :) ) Kripke hung his head and sighed, saying "I guess we'll do killer robots or something."

Jensen related that story very definitively, but I saw other interviews since (TV Guide and SPN magazine and the one with Sera you referenced) that said five years. All this jerking around is stressing me out!

Anyway, as far as the CW is concerned, I can't see how they could NOT renew it when the show has its best ratings ever this year. As always, I worry that the CW itself will fail before then, but nothing we can do about that.

Creatively speaking, yeah, I understand where they're coming from, and honestly, even shows I loved, I didn't stick with much beyond five years, so I guess I'll live with it.

AuthorM said...

I have actually wept thinking of a life without new Supernatural. I just can't imagine it. I know that makes me sort of pathetic, but that's what I am.

Having admitted that, though, five years is fine. It will have been the best five years of my television life, but there are always DVDs and I trust Kripke implicitly not to f*** up that last season and to send us off the right way.

I fear the end of Supernatural because I will miss it so much it's like a great gaping wound in my heart, bigger even than from a vampire. :(

M

Anonymous said...

I was regisned to only five years (and would rather have five well-written planned out years than watch them limp along through seven or eight uneven years) but the thought of FOUR makes me sad. They can't possibly finish this all up this season, can they? (Then again, I am at a loss how they can top this storyline NEXT season.)

I hope that when it's over, the boys can move on to other great roles and not *just* horror movies. Sometimes it seems as if the longer an actor is on one show (6, 7, or more years) the harder it is for them to break free of that in their career and do new things.

Tanya

Anonymous said...

Tanya - I agree that my biggest worry is that the CW will cancel it and this will be the last season. Apparently Kripke has written a series final, just in case, and a cliff hanger if they get picked up. Whoever hears the news that we get picked up for a fifth season (thinking positive) holler to the rest of us. I would be CRUSHED if it doesn't do through next year. (SPOILER WARNING) Apparently Dean is supposed to find out more about his angel ties and Sam is supposed to go dark in season 5. I read somewhere that the last 3 epis of this season will be brother vs brother.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Both actors have other shows behind them, so I'm pretty confident they'll land other TV roles if they want to. Just...not together, and that's the saddest part.

**SPOILER DISCUSSION**

Terri, I heard the same things. The brother thing doesn't scare me like it used to, and they've been threatening that Sam would "go dark" since season 2, and I just can't believe it will ever happen. Not in a true sense.

But the way spoiler people tend to present that stuff is never how it's actually handled on the show, so...

Maureen Child said...

Oh, please let them get a Season 5! and when do they announce that stuff, anyway???

I too will cuddle up with my DVD's.. and yes, as Natalie says, at least I'll have more than just the 14 episodes of Firefly (a faboo show that didn't get nearly its due)....

But oh, how lonely Thursday nights will seem without new Winchester stories.....As empty as Tuesdays without Buffy. sigh.

Anonymous said...

I still miss Buffy. Other gone before they should've been faves: Moonlight and Roswell.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Maureen, the decision is usually in May at the Upfronts, but last year they got an early pickup (probably due to the strike). Seems like they'd need to know early if they need to know how to end the season.

Terri, I just watched Roswell on DVD. Really liked it, but don't miss it now that I'm done. They ended it pretty well, I thought. I know everyone loves Moonlight, too, but...it's vampires. I'm really pretty over vampires.

MJFredrick said...

Oh, but Natalie, the romance in Moonlight.....and Logan from Veronica Mars is in it. I wasn't wild about the mythology, but loved the romance.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I forgot that, about Logan. I got the pilot of the show free on iTunes, and never watched it! Maybe someday I'll force myself and when I love it you can all say "We told you so!" in neener neener voices. :)

MJFredrick said...

Won't be the first time :)

:::ducking and running::::

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

When did you say neener neener at me? *confused*

MJFredrick said...

Okay, maybe not "neener neener" but I have told you so :)

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

LOL But about WHAT? I don't remember! Unless you mean Leverage, but that doesn't count, because I knew I'd like it.

This is like having an IM chat! LOL

MJFredrick said...

Didn't I watch Gilmore Girls before you? Hmmm....can't remember.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I was going to say yes, but I'm not sure. I watched it all on DVD after the show ended.

MJFredrick said...

I watched season 7 when it was on. I swear I can never remember who got me watching which show. I know Trish got me on Legend of the Seeker, Supernatural (though I planned to watch anyway because of JDM) and I forget what else.

Ooh, dh is home with food!