Monday, February 16, 2009

Why MJ Wants an Impala

Some people reward themselves with computers or furniture if they get a good advance on their book. This is what I’d get:

Photobucket

I heart the Impala, to the point that I actually shopped around for one. Let me tell you, shopping for 40 year old cars can be scary. Apparently they’re everywhere, because at least four people I know, including my dad and my best friend, tell me they had a late 60s model Impala.

We found one, in the Valley, in working order, for $3000. We thought about it, but that was when gas was over $3 a gallon and it would have cost another fortune to drive her back. They were built, after all, before fuel economy was an issue.

I have her on my wallpaper at school (can’t have the boys, too hard to explain to 4th graders.)

I loved her triumphant return in Bloodlust.




I love her sleek lines, I love her powerful engine.

Photobucket

I love that the trunk is “big enough to hide a body,” which is why Kripke chose an Impala. He was going to go with a Mustang, you know. Can you imagine these two big guys driving around in a little Mustang?

I love that she can do this….not that I’d ever do any such thing, of course.



I love what she means to Dean, a connection to his dad, the only home he knows, his legacy.

Photobucket

I loved how Dean bequeathed her to Sam, ensuring Sam would be able to take care of her, passing onto Sam the responsibility that his father had passed onto him, but doing it lovingly.



I know my longing for a 67 Impala isn’t rational, but my obsessions usually aren't.

What do you love about the Impala?

11 comments:

phouse1964 said...

I would so love to have this car! But, and it's a big one, it would never make it into the garage of my apartment building. (built in 1903) I can' just get my Civic up the ramp!

Maybe I should move?

MJFredrick said...

I'm so glad I'm not alone! Yeah, no way would she fit in a garage built in 1903 (which has to be way cool, btw.) They couldn't even fathom a car her size then.

I went to go look at one up close and they aren't as big as, say, the 1973 LTD that was my first car. Someday. I've always loved classic cars....

AuthorM said...

I have a '66 Impala convertible. She's purple. She's called The Phantom.

And yes, we bought her because I'd said, half-seriously, I want an Impala -- and Superman wanted a classic convertible of some kind...and so that's what we got.

She's not as user friendly as the Winchester Impala -- not in quite as good shape, and not made for all-weather. But in the summer, tooling down back country roads with the top down, that roar of the engine?

Pretty darned fun!

M

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I was never really into cars until I started watching this show. Now I'm giving all my male characters muscle cars and I get a shiver when I see certain ones on the street.

I see modern Impalas every day, and I hate them!

But I'd never own a vintage Impala, because that just flouts my environmental studies degree too far. :)

For those who haven't seen it, Kripke said in the season 1 DVD that he was thinking "Mustang" but knew nothing about cars so he asked his neighbor, who said something along the lines of "Yeah, the Mustang would be good...if the guy's a pussy!" He recommended the Impala.

What surprises me is how many they've been able to find! They obviously have had several, given the different stages she's been through, what with getting smashed and rebuilt and whatnot.

MJFredrick said...

Author M, I'm SOOOOO jealous!!!! I'd even go as late as a '73....I'm sure there would be a lot of issues with a car that age, but dang, it would be cool.

Natalie, you're right, they've been able to find a ton of 67s. I imagine they have somebody restoring them?

TaraLeigh said...

I love that the Impala has a tape deck and he blares TAPES! Oh and I love that the Impala has Dean/Jensen behind the wheel.

I love that the car is so deliciously loud. You know--that kind of loud that vibrates under your butt oh so deliciously.

And c'mon. It's so cooooool and black.

Love the post!

TaraLeigh said...

Oh--and one more reason I love the Impala--You can do this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vYL9u5qc1c

In the backseat. ;)

MJFredrick said...

Tara, YES! I love the noise! The tapes....LOL. I loved when Sam put an iPod jack in her.

And that back seat is plenty big :)

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Oh, yes! I love her distinctive rumble, and the whine-purr when she starts, and the creak of the doors...

MJFredrick said...

All those things, too, Natalie! I loved her role in Ghost Facers, where the Ghost Facers were creeping up on the mansion and here comes Metallicar, rumbling and blaring music.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

YES! You totally knew she was coming long before we could see her. It was a unique shot, too (for the show), from other people's perspective. I loved it.