Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Merits of Marathons (no running required)

My husband: Good night. I'm gonna crash.

Me, pausing the DVD player: Is the TV gonna bother you? I just want to finish this episode.

My husband: Nah, I can sleep through anything. See you in the morning.

FIVE AND A HALF HOURS LATER

My husband: When did you get up? Wait, have you been watching Supernatural this whole time?

Me (sheepishly): I, uh, just want to finish this season...

The above is a dramatization. But not by much.

In the last couple of years, I've noticed more and more TV channels running marathons-TNT doing the entire season of Leverage in a day, or USA showing back-to-back-to-back episodes of House. They're simply catching up with what a lot of viewers have already been doing thanks to the advantages of TV on DVD (as well as DVR, where you can hoarde episodes of something and then binge later or downloading episodes from iTunes, etc). I have one friend who doesn't watch a show during the season but waits for the DVD to come out and catches up summer/off-season.

I've already mentioned on this blog how I was too much of a weenie to watch Supernatural when it originally aired, but then I had a flight delay that lasted for hours...hours Trish helpfully filled with a DVD of first season epidoes. This was in February of the third season...and by the time the show returned from its spring hiatus, I owned seasons 1 &2, had bought all the season 3 eps on-line and was all caught up. This was probably my most exaggerated bout of DVD mania, but there have been other flare-ups. When I discovered Veronica Mars late in the first season, I stopped watching because I knew I wanted to see it all in order. I brought the DVDs the day they came out, and once I popped one in, it didn't come back out until I'd watched all four (by which point my husband had usually hidden the case from me so that I didn't get sucked into another three and a half hours of television).

The funny thing is that this kind of marathon viewing can alter the experience. I enjoy some complicated shows, like Lost and Battlestar Galactica, but have trouble remembering all the pertinent details across myriad seaons. (My husband has trouble staying emotionally invested--he says it's tough to care about the problems of fictional characters four and a half years later, but since I have a much looser grasp on reality than he does, this hasn't been a problem). I'm the type of person who, once engrossed in a good book, will forgo sleep to get to the end and I've always felt really bad for writers of TV shows. They put so much effort into their plotlines and characters, which are sometimes interrupted by scheduling changes, sports playoffs, hiatus, etc. It can make the storyline seem disjointed when that's not the case. As a writer, I feel like watching it uninterrupted and on my own timeline (the way I can with a book), I get the truer experience.

Then again, if you watch ten episodes in a week, any problems or inconsistencies in the show become GLARINGLY obvious. You may discover certain pet peeves that you didn't realize you had. And you lose some of the main benefits we've discussed here a lot--fandom synergy.

Kripke and Co. rock out loud when it comes to cliff hangers. Even the cuts to commerical, which are often heralded by what they call at Television without Pity the "metal teeth chomp," are timed for maximum impact. And while DVD marathon viewing allows me to skip right on to the next scene or episode, it doesn't allow me to get online at places like this with intellectual analysis such as, "OMG, did you guys SEE that? How the heck are they going to get out of this??????" And with a show like this one, isn't that nearly half the fun?

What do you guys think--do you get burned out on a show if you over-indulge, preferring to slowly savor over time, or do you like to binge and lose an entire weekend staring into Sammy's eyes and grinning back at Dean's smirk?

8 comments:

phouse1964 said...

I will never get burned out on Supernatural! I can't tell you how many times I have watchd my DVD's. I started S1 (for the 8th time?) last week. I watch an episode or two every night before I fall alseep. I have tried other shows but it is just not the same.

kaybee said...

I have to admit that I rewatched Season 1-3 on DVD over my spring break. lol.
I love reliving the show on DVD but at the end of every new episode I hop online to see what the reaction is and voice my opinions. I like the DVD method but even more so if I'm buying it after I've seen the season already so I can rewatch my favorite episodes.
Like phouse said I'll never get tired of Supernatural on DVD whether I'm watching an episode, gag reel, BTS feature, commentary whatever.

Trish Milburn said...

Well, we've already established my well-documented binge viewing. There are shows where I simply HAVE to know what's going to happen next or I won't be able to do anything else -- kind of like when you get to a chapter ending in a book and you keep reading because you have to know what happens next. I've stayed up way too late many times to keep reading books. Probably the most extreme case was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I went to the midnight release party and was still reading at daybreak, when I finally had to get a few hours of sleep.

Trish Milburn said...

I think I will go back to the more complicated shows like BSG and LOST and watch the entire series in binge sessions to see if things make more sense and I can pick out clues easier on a second viewing.

Anonymous said...

Trish, I've watched both BSG and Lost in binge sessions (which is probably why my poor husband thinks Lost is "slow" right now, because we're watching it in real time. Commercials and all.

I think if I'd had the DVDs in front of me, I might have kept on watching Heroes. But I couldn't maintain momentum throughout the week.

SPN on the other hand, I compulsively watch til daybreak if I have the DVDs in front of me, but if I don't, then I am on the EDGE OF MY SEAT until the next ep. Momentum is not a problem :-)

New episode tonight, whoo-hoo! And I've so been looking forward to this one.

Anonymous said...

Phouse, I can't go to sleep after watching SPN eps *g* I have to watch a sitcom or something after...or just watch until the sun comes up and it's safe to sleep.

phouse1964 said...

Tanya, you crack me up! I have no problem watching Supernatural before bed. Except...S3 season finale. Dean in Hell is too much for even me to be able to sleep on. Weh I got to the end of S3 a couple of weeks ago, I didn't watch the last episode until a Saturday afternoon. I have a feeling that this years finale will be the same way.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I binge all the time, and there's a definite difference when I catch up to the "live" shows, like with Veronica Mars and now with Bones. There might be some drop-off in quality, but it might just be because the momentum is gone, and a lot of the subtle moments are more apparent and meaningful in a binge.

Phouse, I JUST now figured out what your icon is. I've been looking at it with the totally wrong perspective! LOL It's very cool!

I've never stayed up all night on a binge, but that's ONLY because 1) watching via Netflix means I rarely have more than 4 or max 8 episodes at a time, and b) I have a kid who needs me to be coherent at 6:30 in the morning. LOL

I haven't rewatched S4 like I rewatched S3 during the season, probably because I have a lot more other TV we all watch now. But every summer I go through all the seasons from the beginning, TWICE--once in a nonstop binge on my own, once in weekly sessions with my friends.