Friday, May 21, 2010

Lingering Questions

So it's the first week of a long summer without any new Supernatural episodes. Thursday night feels...odd. But while I was reading a recent Entertainment Weekly special section on LOST and its upcoming series finale, when they mentioned the lingering questions everyone has about the show it made me start thinking about the same thing for Supernatural. So here are some of my lingering questions:

1. Of course, the first one is what Natalie explored on Wednesday: Who is Sam now? I'm not sure I have a theory yet. I was just so surprised to see him at the end of the episode.

2. Doesn't Crowley still have Bobby's soul? If Crowley's around next season, will he still be on the boys' side or start making trouble for them like demons do?

3. What will Castiel do in heaven if he goes back there? Will we see him? If so, how often? I hate to say it, but I'm not sure the show with just the boys will be as satisfying anymore. I like what these great secondary characters like Castiel, Bobby and Crowley bring to the show and bring out in the brothers.

4. Does the entire road to the apocalypse just start over? Someone said (Was it Zachariah?) that this apocalypse wasn't the first one, that the earth had been wiped clean before. Does that mean we could go back to the type of monster-of-the-week episodes we had in Season 1? I'm not sure we could do that without it maybe feeling like a letdown after the past couple of seasons, but I could totally be wrong.

5. Will we see Papa Winchester again?

6. Do we ever get a definitive answer about whether Chuck is God? I'm not sure I like the whole portrayal of God as a figure who sits back and just gets his amusement from moving humans, demons and angels around like cheese pieces. Plus, I really wanted Chuck to just be the goofball Prophet Chuck.

5. Are the spoilers right? Or are they just messing with us? The text is hidden on the rest of this item so those avoiding spoilers can continue to do so. I saw a spoiler that says next season starts several years in the future, with Dean living that apple pie life but perhaps being dissatisfied with it. If Sam is really Sam, is he living that kind of life too? What could they possibly be doing? Is Dean a car mechanic? Working at Bobby's junkyard? Is Sam an attorney? Do they have kids? Wives? And just how far into the first episode of the season is something light-flickeringly weird going to happen to launch them back into the hunting life? How will they feel about that? Resigned? Restored? Useful again?

What are your theories and thoughts about the above questions. What are your lingering questions about the series?

7 comments:

Theresa Meyers said...

I think in someways if they did go back to the roots of the show it would be a nice full circle, showing that this isn't the end, merely another beginning. Normal life isn't normal. It's just a phase for a hunter. If that makes any sense.

Can't wait to see what they do with Sam. He can't possibly be the same without some kind of lingering after effect, don't you think?

Trish Milburn said...

I actually thought about the full-circle thing, Theresa. I can see that, and maybe it would actually be nice to see. And I think the boys would always be aware that this was just the beginning of an entirely new buildup to an apocalypse. But would that just be depressing, that the Ride of Bad never gets to end?

I do think you're right that Sam can never, ever be the same again. Seriously, who would be after having Lucifer inside them? Shudder.

Maureen Child said...

I'd really rather they do a 'years later' thing at the end of the season. Maybe with Dean and Sam sharing a beer at a baseball field watching their kids play and talking about the old demon days...

For next season, I too would like to see the full circle. Come back to where it all began. One on one hunting.

I also want to see Chuck again, figure that out. And the 'anti Christ' yet not evil child come back as some sort of actual well, not savior, but a messenger of good somehow to show that you can overcome your basic instincts if you want to badly enough.

Oh I sound like Pollyanna now... sigh

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

No you don't, Maureen, that's exactly what I want, too! LOL At least re: the Antichrist.

Some of my thoughts:

2. Good question! Any other show (*cough*Smallville*cough*), it would never come up again, and we would assume he did get it back. THIS show, I expect it to come up oh, around episode 6.05. :)

3. I agree. I love Bobby and Castiel and wouldn't mind some other recurring characters who were just as good. There might be some trial and error on that. I saw hints in my Google alerts that both will be back, but haven't tracked down anything official yet.

4. I would assume yes, but it would take just as long (decades, generations, millennia) of setting up the right circumstances again. You might be right about letdown, but almost all of my favorite episodes are stand-alones, so I'm thinking it might be excellent. Plus, not depressing. :)

5. Doubtful. I have a feeling if we were going to, it would have happened this season. I also have a feeling JDM is just not interested in doing it. :(

6. I read an article with Sera that kind of indicated they were going to let it be and let us make our own decisions. I decide that if he was God at all, it was just at the end. :)

5 (again). Ausiello at EW indicated Jensen was saying what he would LIKE happen, not what WILL happen. So it might or might not.

But WHOA, yesterday the CW pretty much gave us a rundown of what the season's focus will be:

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/05/20/spoilers-gossip-girl-vamp-diaries-smallville/#more-8462

Trish Milburn said...

Oh, yeah, the antichrist kid. Forgot about that one.

MJFredrick said...

I want to see JDM again, but he's pretty busy. Like Natalie, I think Chuck was God just at the very end.

Norah Wilson said...

I think I could live happily with more monster of the week episodes, tho I'm sure there'll be some kind of compelling overarching goal... These writers are just too good.

About Chuck, I'm inclined to agree that he was just a prophet of God in earlier episodes, but was God in the end.

And LOL Trish for this mental image: "...moving humans, demons and angels around like cheese pieces." Now I'm busily assigning a type of cheese for each character.