Wednesday, June 2, 2010

How will it end?

Having just watched the series finale of LOST recently, it got me to wondering how Supernatural will end when the show takes its final bow. The part of me that loves stories with happy endings wants that for the boys, but that's never really been part of the show. I wonder if it would totally feel out of place if we got a happy ending finale. Still, they've literally been to hell and back, so it would feel right if they got some wonderful reward. Maybe their memories of all the bad could be wiped and the task of protecting mankind handed off to someone else. Hmm, not sure how I feel about that.

Another option is them going out in a blaze of glory. I think I need to buy stock in Kleenex if it feels like the writers are taking us toward this eventuality. Still, it would be in keeping with the Winchesters' personalities and histories, wouldn't it?

A third possibility is a LOST-esque, open-to-interpretation ending. Maybe we don't see what happens or if we do, we're not sure what it means and speculation will rage for years as it no doubt will among LOST fans. While some LOST fans loved this type of ending because it fit with how LOST had been crafted from the beginning, I don't think it would work for Supernatural.

What do you all think? Think we'll go one of these routes, or some other way entirely?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think SPN's writers will give it a nicely tied up ending. I think they'll live room for interpretation. Rather like the season finale!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I would have agreed with Terri if this season was the end, but it's a whole new chapter, so I think it leaves it even more open to possibility.

I don't want an ending that has any hint of negativity--like if Sam had been stuck in the cage with Lucifer at the end of the series, I'd be pissed. But I don't think we need a neatly-tied-up-in-a-bow, sappy-silly finale to have a happy ending.

For me, "happy ending" means the boys get to go on with their lives. There may be uncertainty, there may not be true happiness. But I want there to be peace. A lack of torment and self-hatred. I want them to both be satisfied with where things are, with hope that the future won't be as bad as the past.

I used to think the "memory wipe" idea was best, because we all talked about "how can they live with what they've been through?" But they've been through so much, and do live with it, they deserve to remember it and be able to contrast a comfortable future with the painful past, and therefore better appreciate it.

Sheesh, I think my response is almost as long--or longer!--than the original post! LOL