Friday, August 26, 2011

My Confession: I've Been Converted to Samdom

I confessed on Twitter and Facebook a few weeks ago that I think I've been converted. Then I started watching season 1 again, and I realize it's a lot more complicated than that.

From the first time I watched Supernatural, I was (for lack of a better term) a Dean girl. I mean, I was in my 30s, and he was the older, more experienced, more mature guy. I loved Sam just as much as I loved Dean, and I always identified more with Sam, but for attraction? It was Dean all the way.

Going back, I still feel that way about the early seasons, but I marvel at how freakin' much Jared Padalecki has changed.

During season 2, he started to really grow up. He filled out, caught up to his nose, and just kept getting bigger. And bigger. Not in a huge, scary way, and not in a lanky, buggy way. Just...big. The amazing thing is that he never stopped.

Take us through seasons 3, 4, 5, 6, and his character grew as much as his body did. Dean kept me through at least season 5 because of Jensen's fantastic acting (as well as the writing). He was tortured, and so full of loyalty and determination to save us all. He stayed true to his principles and his convictions. My goodness, how can anyone not stay hooked?

But Kripke always said Sam was the true protagonist of the show, and he faced and overcame some pretty intense obstacles. Season 6, especially the finale, made me flip.

Not that I realized it for a long time. I've never been all on one side—I always loved them both, and I still do. So I claimed to still be a Dean girl the whole time I marveled at the nuances of Padalecki's performance, and the challenges the writers threw at him. In the finale, he overcame all that fragmentation, all that pain, to go try to save his brother. Most of the talk I've seen has been about Castiel going dark side, but what *I* can't wait to see is how Sam comes out of the whole thing.

So all summer, whenever I thought about the show, Sam was who popped into my head. He's who my brain lingered over while I drove to work or did dishes (especially after my iPod got stolen and I had only my brain for company!). I would be lying if I didn't admit that I've been converted.

Except...Sam doesn't exist without Dean. All that character development couldn't have happened without his brother's influence. So it seems almost impossible to me that I or anyone else can really be all Dean girl or all Sam girl. Which puts me right where I was at the beginning of season one: in the middle, with a slight lean to one side.

I know some of you are rabid Sam girls and rabid Dean girls, but how many of you have found yourself switching back and forth? Tell us in the comments!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love both these characters and, like you, I don't think one would be quite as great without the other. That said, I'm a Dean girl all the way. :-)

kp said...

I SO get your post. He has come a long way Baby. He has become WAY more interesting. Season Ender should've been called "The SAM Show" 'cause Damn! BUUUUT I'm still a Dean Girl 'cause I wish Sammy would just freakin' sac up and do the right thing even when it hurts. I get frustrated with all his emoting and waffling. lol. Sam and Dean have become Samndean They are opposite sides of the same coin, I think. Maybe we can just call ourselves Winchester Girls with a minor in (Dean or Sam)

Claire B. Curley said...

I swear, I could have been the author of this post! For years I was a Dean girl, but after all this time I have come to realize that Sam is the more interesting brother. Of course, his story wouldn't be nearly as interesting without Dean, but he has changed so much through the show.

Also, I agree with you about the season 6 finale. Honestly, I thought Sam's story line was the only interesting one this last season. Heck, it was the only reason I kept watching the show. Now, I eagerly await the return of SPN to see where Sammy's head is after remembering Hell.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Thanks for the support! I feel much less alone now. :)

What is it, 28 days left? 18 for the DVDs!