Friday, September 23, 2011

The New Boss

Welcome back to a new season of Supernatural and weekly recaps here at Supernatural Sisters!

We got off to a good start with tonight's episode ("The New Boss") with some Dean-appropriate music -- "Slow Ride" by Foghat. And we picked up right where last season left off, with Castiel proclaiming himself the new God and telling Dean, Sam and Bobby to bow down before him. Bobby goes down to his knees, and Dean starts to before Cas says to not bother because they're doing it out of fear, not out of love.

Poof, Cas is gone and we see him walking outside, talking to someone, telling them that he thought free will was the answer but now realizes now that it's a firm hand. When the camera pans back, we see a field of dead angels. Disturbing image, that.

I could almost hear MJ keening in agony when they showed the horrible state of the Impala. Once again, Dean was having to bring her back from the dead. While he and Bobby are talking about looking for Cas, Bobby delivered what I think was the best line of the episode: "What am I looking for? Miracles? Mass visions? Trenchcoat on a tortilla?" LOL!!!

Poor Sam, his noggin isn't what she used to be. He keeps hearing things and having hallucinations, part of his memories from Hell making it past the wall. Of course, he tells Dean he's fine. Dude, these guys need to stop keeping secrets.

Cas shows up at a church where a preachers is preaching against homosexuality. Cas says he's indifferent to sexual orientation and what he can't abide by is hypocrites. And then he kills the minister where he stands, one of only many killings of religious leaders. One of the members of the first preacher's congregation is giving a TV interview when she says that God didn't have a beard and wasn't old. "He was young...and sexy." Snort.

Okay, how many of you thought it was hilarious that Crowley was hiding out in an old RV in Tennessee? Cas shows up, tells Crowley (who gave some really funny expressions of surprise) that he's sending him back to be the king of Hell but that Cas will be the gatekeeper deciding where souls go from now on.

Next time we see Crowley, he's been called by Sam, Dean and Bobby. They want info that will help them bind Death in hopes he can kill the off-the-deep-end Cas before he royally screws up the world. Of course, they don't have one of the main ingredients for the spell to bind Death, so they have to go steal it (a spear-like thing of crystallized sand that was hit by lightning). When the security guard tries to stop them, Dean taps him on the shoulder and asks, "Do you have any Grey Poupon?" before punching the guy out. Giggle. I'm guessing some viewers of Supernatural are too young to remember that Grey Poupon commercial.

When Death shows up, Cas isn't far behind. Death tells Cas that there were things older than the souls that resided in Purgatory, Leviathans, beasts that God created before man. They were so powerful that God locked them away, but Cas swallowed them up and now they're fighting to get out. Thus, the gross way Castiel's skin seems to be melting off and that whole Alien-esque thing in his stomach. Death takes a seat and eats the pickle chips and milkshake Dean brought him. (Just for the record, I love Julian Richings' portrayal of Death.)

Cas goes poof again and heads for a senator's campaign headquarters, set on punishing her because she's doing immoral things in his name. But he collapses and later wakes up with a bunch of dead, really bloody people around him. Methinks the Leviathans inside him are winning.

Sam, still believing the old Cas is in there somewhere, calls him, and Cas comes. He says he needs help and agrees to go back to the lap where the door to Purgatory will be opened by Death. The spell works, the souls return to Purgatory, and after a momentary scare that Cas was dead, he wakes up and seems to be the old Cas. Yay!

Cas: "I'm embarrassed. I really overreached."
Dean: "You think?"

I wasn't looking forward to a whole season of Cas playing God. But, wait, that was too easy. Yep, the souls went back to Purgatory, but the Leviathans are still there, and they make their presence known, saying they've killed Cas. I will steadfastly believe Cas is still alive in there until it's proven otherwise.

What did you think of the season premiere? Do you think the old Cas is still in there somewhere? Will we not see him until the end of the season?

12 comments:

Katy said...

I'm going to hold out hope that the old Cas is still in there somewhere; although, I think I will enjoy seeing Misha as the Leviathans. That little exchange between him and Dean at the end of the show was chilling!

Did y'all notice that Dean was wearing an 'Eye of the Tiger' shirt when he was repairing the Impala and talking to Bobby? Love it! I don't even know how many times I've watched that video of him on Youtube. :-)

Looking forward to a great Season 7!

Maureen Child said...

I'm thinking the old Cas is still in there. Probably being tortured as Sam was in the cage.

It was a GREAT opener that i will no doubt watch many times this week!

But oh, I already miss Cas

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I thought it was a BRILLIANT episode! I loved the interactions between Bobby, Dean, and Sam, with tension making them snap and growl but immediately apologize. They feel strong together, despite Sam trying to keep the hallucinations to himself. (Dean really has no right to complain, he did the same thing!)

I adored Death and Crowley and even the couple whose house they were in, and I was so excited for Misha that he got to play Cas so many different ways. Smug and powerful, smiting and logical (and not always even flawed, though the punishment was a bit extreme), and totally insane. That last part wasn't hard, though, for Misha. ;)

But OMG, I can't believe you didn't mention LUCIFER! I think Cas is in there somewhere, though it's an interesting question, because when a new possessor takes...um...possession...what happens to the old possessor? Jimmy's body wasn't Cas's in the first place. So could he have been displaced but not killed? On the other hand, Jimmy's body wasn't Jimmy's body, anyway. It was a restored vessel a couple of times, and I have questions about whether it's really the old body or just "putty" shaped to be like it.

Still, an even bigger question is about Sam. Lucifer told him he was still in the pit, and evidence points to that being a lie. The blood was in the hall when Dean found it, and he was looking for Sam. I think the writers wouldn't pull an "it was all a dream," Bobby Ewing in the shower fast one. But it's fun to contemplate the question.

Trish Milburn said...

I will scream if it's a Bobby Ewing "It's all a dream" thing. I do think it's going to be interesting how far they take the messed-up mind of Sam. I can't imagine how scary it would be to not know whether everything you thought was real is in fact real or not.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I think everyone would scream, Trish, even the people too young to know what the hell we're talking about. LOL

I do NOT want season 6 to not have happened. But I think the tension of not knowing for sure would feed the torment of watching Sam's torment.

Okay, I admit it. Part of me thinks it WOULD be cool to reset and explore the aftermath of Lucifer-in-the-pit in a different way. The "what if" game has so freakin' many possibilities!

Unknown said...

Last night's premiere was clever, exciting and just brilliant. My heart hurt for the Impala. The Trenchcoat on a Tortilla line was hilarious.

I enjoyed watching Misha take Cass on the flip out. Especially killing those religious leaders and Sam going "motivational speakers, too." I am the edge of my seat waiting to find out what happens next.

I am so freakin' happy the season has started.

Trish Milburn said...

Melissa, the Trenchcoat on a Tortilla is my new favorite line. Cracks me up every time I hear it.

The premiere of SPN plus what happened on Haven last night made it an awesome night of TV. Still have to watch the season premiere of Fringe.

Unknown said...

Haven is killer! YEs, Friday was a hellagood night for TV.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

HAVEN!!!!

Throw Nikita into that mix, and

*thunk*

Julia Phillips Smith said...

My personal favorite line from the opening episode was Crowley's: "This isn't a negotiation, is it? Then I accept."

Adored this first episode, especially Misha's three-in-one Cas special. He totally rocked out on that.

Can never get enough of Death. And as someone who's currently writing about a character trying to rejoin the real world after torture, Sam's storyline is going to be a treat.

Brenda said...

Wicked post-I'm so happy I found your blog.

Anyway, I know the old Cas--the sweet, loving, Cas--is still in there....somewhere.
What worries me more is Lucifer's little bomb he dropped on Sam. Could he still be locked in the cage? Is all this simply a game of torture? I don't think it is, but I do think Lucifer is involved....somehow.
Again, awesome blog.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

So great to have new readers/commenters! Welcome to Supernatural Sisters! :)

Julia, I've seen some people fed up with the focus on Sam's struggles from season to season, but I'm fascinated. I love the questions they're making us ask!

Thanks for the compliments, Brenda! I wonder how long they'll string us along with the truth of Lucifer's involvement?