Friday, May 29, 2009

SPN Alum on the Screen Pt. I

The show keeps our boys too hard at work for much else, but the extended cast has been busy, busy, busy. This isn’t everyone or everything, by far, but I thought I’d give you a sneak peak at some upcoming projects from SPN alum. Thanks, mostly, to the prodigious Jeffrey Dean Morgan, I’ll be doing this in two parts.

Ruby might be dead, but look for Genevieve Cortese in December’s American Empire. An indie “film noir, dark comedy of errors” with one heckuva hot cast.

Our beloved Jeffrey Dean Morgan (John Winchester) continues to be one sizzling star with at least six things on the slate.

First up is July’s All Good Things. This mystery has Jeffrey playing a detective trying to unravel a missing person’s case that could doom the heir to a NY real estate dynasty.

Come August, we’ll see him playing the lover of a closeted gay man who inadvertently sets in motion the generation-defining concert of 1969 in Ang Lee’s awesome looking, Taking Woodstock.

Then in September, Jeffrey does this thing we wish he’d quit doing--he dies--which acts as the catalyst for his best friend (John Cusack) to return to Shanghai in the months before Pearl Harbor.

And, OMG, in 2010, he’s playing a stalker landlord with an obsession for his new tenant, Hilary Swank, in Invasion of Privacy. (Wicked Jeffrey is just so yummy.)

Also in 2010, Jeffrey’s turn as a “twisted, sado-masochistic henchman” in a yet-to-be-titled Beatle Boyin project.

And, finally, his first 2011 project is another graphic novel adaptation in which he’ll play a CIA black ops agent who’s out to get those responsible for attempting to assassinate his team in The Losers.

Katie Cassidy (former Ruby) has yet to bite the dust on Harper’s Island, but even if she never makes it to her wedding day she’s got a bright future ahead of her.

First, or maybe never, is the super secret Chris Carter project she filmed. Fencewalker was written, financed and directed by the X-Files scribe who says it’s a "coming-of-age semiautobiographical character piece with no supernatural elements." Hmm. Clear as mud, eh? Recently Katie called the script “amazing” and said it was a challenging, emotional role for her and she thought the film would be out at the end of the year. Let’s hope so!

This fall she’ll return to blonde and the CW when she stars as Ella Flynn, a bi-sexual publicist whose tongue is as sharp as her stilettos in the Melrose Place redux.

And since slasher remakes are all the rage, as Jared and Jensen proved this summer, watch for Katie in next year’s A Nightmare on Elm Street where she’s sure to fall victim to Freddy Kruger’s grisly glove.

Finally, keep your eye out for Samantha Smith (Mary Winchester) in next month’s blockbuster Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen where she’ll reprise her role as Sarah Lennox. (That’s the wife of hot Army Captain William Lennox (Josh Duhamel), in case you didn’t remember).

So, which of these grabs your interest? ‘Til next time….

6 comments:

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Wow! Thank you, Terri, because I hadn't heard of most of these!

I think the one most appealing is American Empire. You're right, HOT cast, and as soon as I saw Christian Slater, I was hooked. :)

I'll also see the Transformers movie, because I liked the first one much more than I expected to, and can you believe I didn't remember that Samantha Smith was in it? I'm sure I noticed at the time... :)

Barbara said...

Hmm sounds like a pretty interesting character that Katie will be playing on Melrose Place. Jeffrey is the guy that keeps dying but at least he came back to Grey's Anatomy now he needs to get his butt back to Supernatural for some kind of flashback or maybe his ghost could show up.

MJFredrick said...

I knew of all the JDM movies, natch, and that Samantha is in Transformers again, but I hadn't heard of the others! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

The cast of American Empire immediately sold me. Have to see it. Plus I really want to see Taking Woodstock after watching the trailer. And I will be watching Melrose Place for sure. Next month the whole fam, with probably half the neighborhood in tow, will go see Transformers. :)

Anonymous said...

I read an interview somewhere recently where JDM said he intended to call Kripke and find a way to come back for the final season because he definitely thinks there's some issues he and the boys needs to work out. I was thrilled that he wanted to do that!

Anonymous said...

The cast of American Empire immediately sold me. Have to see it. Plus I really want to see Taking Woodstock after watching the trailer. And I will be watching Melrose Place for sure. Next month the whole fam, with probably half the neighborhood in tow, will go see Transformers. :)