Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Can We Reignite the Passion?


Last week, I read a list of TV shows that have been renewed or canceled, that are sure things or dead and buried. At the time, Supernatural was in the Danger Zone (now it's listed as Could Go Either Way).

I had occasion to be depressed this weekend (I don't want to talk about it stupid Jets), and my go-to cure for such is to watch Supernatural on DVD. I'm watching season 4 now, and despite the rift between Sam and Dean, the natural chemistry and brotherly relationship was funny and beautiful.

That naturalness is really missing this season. It's been easy for me to dismiss my lack of passion for the show. It's on Friday now, and my schedule is different. I forget the show is on, so I don't have the whole-day buildup. The people I used to chat with after the show aren't always available anymore (or I'm not), and I've always known my passion has lasted so long because of the synergy of the fandom, even when that was just half a dozen of us chatting online or posting/commenting here. So many fans, including some Supernatural Sisters, aren't happy with the show, and don't even put it as their favorite anymore. I admit, that affects my feelings.

I also blamed it on maturity. No relationship can burn with the passion of a thousand fiery suns forever, right? Except that passion is still there when I pop in the DVD or recite lines from past favorite episodes.

So what's going on this year?


I never thought the change in showrunner would make much difference. Sera Gamble has been here from the beginning, and Kripke hasn't gone away completely. But there's a definite atonal quality sometimes. Dean is too harsh and selfish, and the heartfelt moments, the ones that lead to "let's get out of here before we grow ladyparts" comments are missing.

Yes, a lot of that is because of Sam's missing soul, which means it may return next week when Sam does. I am DYING to have Sam back! But the humor hasn't been the same, either, especially between the brothers. I don't want to call it a misstep by the writers, because I've found the whole storyline intriguing. If I didn't have 5 seasons behind me as a viewer, I'd be loving the show this season.

But I do have those five seasons, and no matter how much I tell myself the passion is still there, it's just matured, all I have to do is watch two minutes of an old episode to know I'm lying to myself.

So what do you think? Is your passion banked, too? If so, what do you expect now that Sam's returning?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

My passion has waned as well because all through five seasons there was the build-up to a certain ending, it was designed around this. The last episode the way it ended was stellar. Sacrifice, loss, happy ending in the arms of the woman you love. I was sad, but I knew this had been the moment, the end. Then, it gets saved for a sixth season.

Yay! I didn't have to let it go, but in a very real sense,I did. I had said good bye and just didn't realize it until this season. There is something missing and it's not just Sam's soul for me. I can't lay my finger on it, but 1-5 it was not miss, must see no matter if the house is burning down. Now, I watch, but I've missed a couple because of basketball and hockey and I've been upset, but only because there was nothing else. Not like before where I'd be sputtering Yosemite Sam style.

I want to recapture the spirit, the passion, but I'm having a hard time this season. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Unknown said...

I just reread my post. I didn't mean happy ending in the whoo hoo way, but in the sense the war was over and he was done.

MJFredrick said...

I've been thinking along these lines, too. The next SPN Con is in Nashville, the first weekend of summer. It's hella expensive, but I could swing it. Two years ago, I would have moved heaven and earth to go. Now...eh.

When I rewatch, I pull out the season 1 DVDs, sometimes season 2. I haven't even opened season 4 or 5.

I agree with a lot of what Melissa said. Last year could have been the end and since it was wrapped up so neatly, this season doesn't feel quite right. Also, as far as the characters go, I think there's only so much pain you can take before you shut yourself off to that person, and I think that level has been reached by Dean. Whereas before he'd do anything for Sam, now I think he's--not given up, exactly, but that urgency is gone, and with it the affection.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I understand why you guys feel that way, about the wrap-up, but that definitely isn't part of it for me. I thought the finale of season 2 would have been satisfying if the show didn't get renewed, but that didn't harm season 3 for me. Likewise, last year I felt it was a satisfying way for that storyline to end, but I would have been furious if that was how the show itself ended--or worse, if Sam and Dean had both wound up in the pit. I always wanted to know what happened next.

So it's definitely not a storyline thing for me, but more tonal. It's Dean being a dick, for one. His disregard for Bobby and Cas and what they're dealing with. He still has his moments, like with Lisa, but the selfish, harsh parts rub me like a cheese grater.

The more I talk about it, the more I feel it coming back, though. I find myself wanting to defend, and again, I'm REALLY longing to see Sam&Dean again, as opposed to Sam and Dean.

Unknown said...

Dean's attitude doesn't really bother me. He's meaner in his cuts, but I don't think he's being that much more of dick. I do think they have him complain a lot more which bugs me.

There is something off about this season and I'm hoping with a whole Sammy back that things will change for the better.

Unknown said...

I still feel excited about the storyline because I view this lull after the apocalyptic storm as necessary. When a person comes home from war there is a period of readjustment, and that's how I view the story this season so far: both Sam and Dean are seeing with new eyes.

However, I think that since they did a 6th season, they must do a 7th. The story could have ended last season, but it didn't. I feel like the ultimate end of the series should be Sam and Dean happily riding off into the night with the rest of us feeling safe 'knowing' that people are out there to save us from the monsters; and its going to take a whole new season to get to that point.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

*hugs amy*

Your continued excitement helps bring mine back. I agree with everything you said! :)

I don't want to live without Sam and Dean, even if my passion isn't as fiery and consistent as it was a couple of years ago.