Thursday, March 12, 2009

Supernatural Sound


"Gasoline" by The Living Daylights
"What Cha Gonna Do" by Classic
"Speaking In Tongues" by Eagles Of Death Metal
"Ramblin' Man" by Allman Brothers Band
"Back In Black" by AC/DC
"Highway To Hell" by AC/DC
"My Cheatin' Ways" by Kid Gloves Music

CUE MUSIC: [And you can take your anemic, alternative pop music and shove it up your ass. Dean plays bass thumping, pile driving Zeppelin, and he plays it loud.]

That’s the way series creator Erik Kripke noted the music intro for the pilot script of Supernatural. A small town Ohioan, and big time Led Zepplin fan, Erik fought to make Supernatural stand out on the soundtrack landscape. His beloved 70’s mullet rock was so important to him he nearly quit the show when they tried to steer him from metal to McLachlan. Fortunately, Kripke won and those eight songs quickly told viewers this show was going to be different. Now legions of new fans are downloading AC/DC, Creedence Clearwater Revival and Foreigner and I know I’m not the only one with Kansas’s Carry On My Wayward Son as a ringtone.



While Kripke is the most paramount influence over Supernatural’s sound, kudos also have to go to music supervisor Alex Patsavas. Patsavas has paired music with pictures for Roswell, The O.C., Gossip Girl, Chuck, Twilight (Yes, that Twilight) and Grey’s Anatomy. She combs through over 500 submissions a week for all the shows she works on and is considered a golden girl for her ability to discover new talent and shoot songs to the top of the charts. After Snow Patrol’s Chasing Cars played during Denny’s (our Jeffrey Dean Morgan) death scene on Grey’s it became #1 on I-Tunes download list the following day. Patsavas considers music to be a character and that certainly holds true for the Supernatural soundtrack.

Sadly, though the fans and Kripke would love to see official Supernatural soundtracks released, it doesn’t look to be possible due to steep costs. Led Zeppelin, in particular, is impossibly (read: obscenely) expensive to license, but I imagine they have to know how much this show has created a resurgence of interest in their songs. As an alternative Kripke has asked Warner Music to create an official Supernatural I-Tunes playlist, but that hasn’t happened either (even though you can download all the episodes). However, fans have created some pretty awesome I-Tunes I-Mix’s so you can download your own soundtrack that way. And if you want to see a broken down song episode guide check out Supernatural.TV.

I know I’ve gained a greater appreciation for classic rock because of this show and that’s one of Kripke’s greatest pleasures.

"One of the best pleasures I've had with this show is when I'm online checking out the blogs and there's this 14-year-old kid who says, 'What is this band, Foreigner and this song, Hot Blooded? I really liked it and I went out and bought the greatest hits of Foreigner' and I'm like, ah, I'm doing God's work! I'm introducing people to Foreigner, now if I can get people on board with Triumph! Spreading that sick obsession of mine has been very, very gratifying."



Did you love mullet rock before Supernatural? Got any Supernatural ringtones? What do you think Sammy listens to? And are you waiting for Carry on Wayward Son to make an appearance in season 4 like I am? This song has become a heartbreaking season ending hallmark--1.20 Salvation, 2.22 All Hell Breaks Loose, 3.16 No Rest for the Wicked—and I expect this season to be no different.

9 comments:

MJFredrick said...

I don't have a SPN ringtone because I want "Hair of the Dog" (used in the previews for "Croatoan," which you may note is one of my favorite episodes) and that's probably inappropriate :) The BEST use of a song on SPN was "Renegade" at the end of NIGHTSHIFTER. Man. That extra beat in there.....terrific. Downloaded that one.

Also loved "Back in Black" at the beginning of BLOODLUST.

But the one I bought the CD for is "She Brings Me Love" by Bad Company, from ROUTE 666, the love scene. Guh.

Maria Lima said...

Love, love, love the music on the show. I grew up in the 70s, so all that headbanging I did then paid off. ::g::

My ringtone: "Don't Fear the Reaper", though I'm planning to add more soon. Yeah, total fangrrl.

I don't think I bought all that many tunes from the songs they played - mostly because I already owned them.

I agree that the music is a character, just as the metallicar is. I can't begin to imagine this show set to Sarah McL - as much as I adore her music, it wouldn't have worked.

Anonymous said...

AC/DC is one of my faves. I've got their songs on my phone, along with Hot Blooded, Down South Jukin', Round and Round (loved Ratt!), Rock of Ages, Don't Fear the Reaper, Eye of the Tiger and Wayward Son. This music always lifts me up. :)

phouse1964 said...

I have Wayward Son as my ringtone. I just makes me smile everytime my phone rings.

I too grew up in the 70's so the music on this show brings back so many memories. I mean, my first front row concert experience was Foreigner! Not to mention Back in Black was played constantly all thorough my teens.

I keep waiting for some Boston to show up somehow. It will, I know. I mean, Bon Jovi got worked in perfectly last year so Boston can't be far behind.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I had "Back in Black" as my ringtone for a while, but changed phones and now don't have choices. :( I agre with Mary that "Renegade" was the best use!

I also love the original music in each episode. Christopher Lennertz and Jay Gruska do a fabulous job (though I can't find credits for this season, so I'm not positive either one of them is still doing it). I would totally buy a soundtrack of the original music. I did manage to get a hold of Christopher Lennertz samples from his Emmy-winning first season, but nothing since.

kaybee said...

I have "Carry On Wayward Son", "Back in Black", and "You Shook Me All Night Long" as possible ringtones but right now it's one I found online with Jared and Jensen's voices telling me to answer my phone lol.

I liked classic rock before Supernatural but not nearly as much as I do now. I mostly listened to it because it was my dad's music but now I'm the one turning to the classic rock stations in the car.

I only wish the CW could give the show a bigger budget so they could afford more music. Sadly, I've been missing it more and more since Season 2.

Unknown said...

Awesome article Terri! The music is like another character. I'm only on season 2, but the last few episodes of season one with Wayward Son was freakin' amazing!
Regarding the mullet: I CRACKED UP when the guy (computer guy) said the classic line "It's all business in the front & party in the back" LOL

Anonymous said...

Hey Pam! I'm so happy you stopped by. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Pam! I'm so happy you stopped by. :)