Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Urban Legends

One of the things I loved about Supernatural is the way the boys investigated urban legends. (I’m one who prefers the stand-alone episodes, though I know the show wouldn’t be the same without the myth-arc.) I loved the Bloody Mary episode, the Hookman, the Woman in White.

I know the boys have bigger fish to fry right now, but here are some cases I would love to see them on.

La Bruja Lechuza is a Mexican legend. She is a witch who comes to a house in the form of a giant owl-type bird, to take away someone who is close to death. Some of my students claim to have seen her, and are terrified of her. I would love to see the boys come to town (how about a San Antonio set show? Hmm?) and hunt her down, only to find out she isn’t what they believe her to be?

The Jersey Devil is another interesting urban legend, but from what I’ve seen, it doesn’t do much, like a chupacabra. It just eats livestock and freaks people out. Still, I have faith Kripke could make it a fun monster-of-the-week.

A haunted lighthouse would make a good setting for an episode. Maybe set during a hurricane or something…definitely with a love interest.

New Orleans…something in the cemeteries. I know, cliché, but again, I have faith in Kripke. Wouldn’t it be cool to see the boys vs. a voodoo priestess? Or working side by side with one?

But my number one wish for a setting is Stull Cemetery in Lawrence, Kansas. (I wonder if this doesn’t tie in to Mary’s family’s careers as hunters.) Supposedly, Satan can manifest there, and does on Halloween. His only son is rumored to be buried there, and when Pope John Paul II flew across the country, he had his plane avoid Kansas. Weird, huh? It’s said to be a devil’s gate, which I know we’ve done, but how cool would it be to have it in a real place? They could even go up against a group of Satan worshipers or something.

What stories would you like to see the boys tackle?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, now that you mention it, I can't believe we haven't seen more voo-doo on the Show! The Stull Cemetery thing sounds a bit too intense for me, though :-)

I wasn't familiar with the term La Bruja Lechuza but some of my friends in my UT college days were from Mexico (or had family that was) and they had similar tales, including an old woman in black. (I think she was reported to carry some item, but I don't remember what it was.) When you saw her, you knew someone close to you was going to die and several of them had friends and relatives who'd come home shaken, swearing they'd encountered her, and then there'd be a death in the family.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

How about a Bermuda Triangle-type thing? Not the actual triangle, of course, but a place where people keep disappearing, and the boys go to investigate and disappear, too, and find all these people stuck in a kind of limbo, and they have to free them.

Other than that, I'm not aware enough of any urban legends (or general folklore) that I can speculate on. I'm eager to see if they use the ones you mentioned, though! :)

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see a voodoo tie in! And I like the idea of a doppleganger. I'm working on a story about one and they're typically harbingers of death. I think Kripke could do something cool with this...have Dean or Sam see their own double.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see a voodoo tie in! And I like the idea of a doppleganger. I'm working on a story about one and they're typically harbingers of death. I think Kripke could do something cool with this...have Dean or Sam see their own double.

Anonymous said...

Ha! My message errored out and then posted double. Definitely a sign they should do a doppleganger epi. ;)

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

LOL, Terri!

A doppleganger would be good. But that reminds me!

The episode I really, really want them to do is Sam and Dean switching bodies. Can't you just imagine them being each other? I'm sure they'd be fabulous.

Anonymous said...

I love that idea, Natalie! Don't you wish we knew if Kripke & Co. have found us yet?

I've always imagined writing for the show. They should hire all of us.

Maureen Child said...

Oooh. I never knew that about the Stull cemetery! Do you think that's WHY they set their home town in Lawrence, Kansas?? Interesting.....

So, if the show is picked up for year five, please God, you think they'll wrap up the Seals this year or let it carry over? Because I'd love to see those stand alone shows come back.

The urban legend ones really creep me out in a fun way! Like the scarecrow one! YIKES...

But the boys switching bodies would be great fun!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Accumulation of details, Maureen, leads me to think things will carry over to next season, much the way they did from season 1 to season 2.

But they DID get a season 5 pickup, so we know for sure the show is continuing!

They always have the stand-alone episodes, so let's hope the ones they do next year are BETTER than most of the ones we've had this year. Well, maybe not "most," maybe just "many."

Maureen Child said...

Natalie!! REALLY?? Okay, is it wrong that I'm so excited that they got picked up for season 5?? LOL

Yes, I like those stand alones. And I want the boys to reconnect again......I miss that.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Yep, they got an early pickup!

Okay, is it wrong that I'm so excited that they got picked up for season 5??

NEVER! In fact, here? If you're not so excited, it's wrong. :)

Unknown said...

Name the title of any work of Art, created by a contemporary Clevelander? Har-pressed, huh?
"Cleveland Interracial Foxy-Boxing"; "Aids in Bay Village"; Retro: the Kate Jones Story"; "Big-butt Betty Boop", most locals have heard of.
The creation of sometimes elaborate fictitious events to propel an image, is unique within the field of fine arts.
Many early examples of this mans work, are now decades-old urban myths.
Marc Breed.