Friday, July 10, 2009

Season 6?

So, not so many months ago, we did blog posts here about how Season 5 was going to be the last for Supernatural, the sensible ending to a five-season story arc. But now, probably because of increased ratings this last season, we're getting rumblings of a possible sixth season. Jensen and Jared are evidently already signed for a sixth if it came about. But here's my question -- after you have a season that is centered around the ultimate Big Bad Guy (aka Lucifer), what do you follow that with? Or do you think they could stretch the Lucifer story over two seasons? Perhaps they stick Lucifer back where he belongs, but then they have to deal with...dare I say it...Heaven?

As a writer, I would be a bit freaked if I thought I knew how many episodes I had left to finish wrapping up a story but then discovered that, oh wait, there might be even more episodes. How do you figure out what to reveal when and how to arc Season 5 if you don't know if it's truly the end or you will end up having an entire additional season to play with?

So, if there is a Season 6, what are your theories on what the big bad for that season will be? Do you want a sixth season, or do you like the idea of the story going out on a high point with Season 5? I certainly don't want it to stick around until it just gets stupid and embarrassing to watch.

6 comments:

Trish Milburn said...

Yoohoo! Where is everyone? Packing for RWA National? On vacation? Curled into a fetal position because there are no new SPN episodes over the summer?

I've been on the road all day (10 hours), and I thought for sure there would be comments here when I parked if for the night.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I don't know, Trish! Maybe they're too busy fighting demons and such while the boys are on hiatus. :)

I personally am fine with the idea of a season 6. I don't want the show to get stupid, but I think it would take a lot to get it there.

I also think things don't HAVE to get bigger than the apocalypse. I'd love a season focusing on random cases, with the brothers feeling their way back to each other and some semblance of contentment.

Heather R. Holden said...

Unless they can come up with a feasible way to extend the series, I don't want a season 6. The characters have been going on a journey that, by the sounds of it, will be satisfyingly wrapped up by the end of season 5, and I don't want a potentially awesome series ender to be overshadowed by pointless story lines.

Except, I'd probably still watch it, despite my misgivings. (It IS Supernatural, after all.)

Unknown said...

There are so many possibilities for stand-a-lone episodes, and so much of the boys' lives I'd like to see explored more, I don't really need a big bad. I can't imagine that, even if Lucifer and God end up back in the appropriate places at the end of season five, the Winchesters would suddenly become boring to watch. Dean at the Grand Canyon, or Amsterdam. Sam solving a case while at Stanford (love those flashbacks). Settling Bela's will (in my fantasy she leaves all her mystical artifacts to Bobby). The FBI higher up who's repressing all evidence, and there's a lot, that Sam and Dean aren't dead. An episode that's all Jo and Ellen.

If you add up every fan's wishlist (for instance the Tubular reviewer who wants to know "just how and when Dean developed his distaste for witches") I think there'd be enough material for another decade of episodes. Bring on Sam and Dean in the wheelchairs!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I'm with you, Grand! I love every one of those possibilities you mentioned, and agree a season without a big bad would be great. I know a lot of people who've always preferred the stand-alone episodes, and while we still have them, the overarching storyline really took over season 4. It's hard to depart from when it's that huge.

Sam and Dean, working it out, being brothers...that's enough for me. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.