Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Angels Are The New Vampire

Unless you’ve been living on another planet you’re aware that vampires have sank their fangs into TV, movies and books. But rumor has it those bloodsuckers are running dry. The new big thing in books and movies is angels. Especially fallen angels. Instead of chaste vampires, we’ll be seeing naughty celestial beings.

We’ve already mentioned Legion for the silver screen. Now you can expect to see lots and lots of books. Becca Fitzgerald’s Hush, Hush and Lauren Kate’s Fallen (both YA) have garnered mega attention, even a Disney deal. In an article for The Independent, Cindy Hwang, executive editor at Berkley Books, said she believes the resurgence in angels has to do with the Mayan prophecy for 2012. "People are thinking about the apocalypse. That's why the angel craze this time is darker. The ambiguity reflects how we feel about the world."

Hmm, the apocalypse and rogue angels…sounds familiar, doesn’t it? Seems Supernatural was ahead of the trend. Hopefully this will mean an even greater increase in ratings.

For a list of more angel books (adult and YA) check out the excellent article by
Susie Mesure.

3 comments:

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I hope I hope! :)

Trish Milburn said...

I'd been thinking about tackling this topic too, as soon as I finished reading Hush, Hush and Fallen, both of which I have, but you scooped me. :)

It is an interesting trend, one that SPN seemed to be on the leading edge on.

Anonymous said...

I LOVED Hush, Hush. LOOOOVED it. Haven't read Fallen yet. But it's in my TBR pile.