Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Big Story of Season Six

So many questions bloom as I’m watching the season premiere of season 6. Who brought Sam back? Where were the cousins during the Apocalypse? Do they know Sam and Dean’s role in it? Why isn’t Dean driving the Impala? Will Lisa and Ben survive until the first hellatus? Why can’t Sam have decent hair ever?

But the big one…WHAT’S THE DEAL WITH GRANDPA?

Because he’s been in heaven for more than 35 years and suddenly he and Sam are yanked back to life at the same time. He wasn’t sent back for the Apocalypse, but he’s back now because all the monsters are acting erratic. That doesn’t follow for me. It has to be a bigger reason he’s back, and based on his secretive actions, I don’t think it’s good. I don’t remember—did Dean and Sam look for him when they were in heaven? They didn’t, did they?

I’m no good at coming up with theories of whys and whos and whats. So you tell me. What do you think is going on? Or do you disagree that this is the big story?

6 comments:

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I think it's at least related to the big story, MJ. And the cousin telling Dean he's been out of the hunt for a year, leave it to the professionals? Grandpa was out for 35 years! Which makes me wonder (just now, actually), if the cousins are really Campbells at all. Or if the whole lot is something sinister.

My money is on angels, because there's a possibility Sam isn't fully Sam, either, and his "proof" with the holy water/salt/cutting himself wouldn't prove he's not being ridden by, say, Michael. (If that's the case, I hope they get him out soon, because I don't want to go through a whole season of Fake!Sam! :( )

The Impala question's the easiest. :) You can run construction from a muscle car. LOL

And I liked Sam's hair this season!

Maureen Child said...

I just commented on the previous post! =)

But...Grandpa Winchester?? Who says he was in Heaven? I don't like the 'cousins' and don't trust them.

And Natalie's right. Grandpa's been out of the game for 35 years, but Dean's an amateur? Come on!

And something is definitely wrong with Sam........

Unknown said...

I think Grandpa is very sinister and I can't wait to find out what his deal is. I think the Campbells are demons or something, because they never made themselves known during the big A.

I'm with Natalie, I don't want a whole season of a fake Sam. I think maybe he's under their control or something equally dastardly. It just didn't sit right with me that the big Winchester reunion was so tepid.

But, what ever happens, I'm along for the ride.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

The biggest clue about something being wrong with Sam is the smugness on his face when Dean hugged him. The second biggest is the way he dismissed the Impala.

I think it's also possible he knows something about the Campbells, or is under their control somehow, and is trying to draw Dean back in to help, but can't reveal what he's doing or why or they'll both be killed (or something worse).

We'll see. I just know that if we're wrong, and looking too deep, and believing too strongly in the writers, then I'll be really disappointed.

Unknown said...

I know! That smugness really got me. With the touching emotion of their reunion when Dean came back from Hell, this was horrible. I wanted a long bear hug and some rough-voiced banter. This was the moment I had been waiting for all summer long. And it was meh.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I had the same disgruntlement at the lukewarm reunion.

If it was just the smugness, I'd blame it on Padalecki's acting (despite the number of heartfelt, emotional hugs they've had over five seasons!) and hate it. But add the lack of passion in anything he did, the odd way he interacted with the Campbells, his shrugging attitude toward wanting Dean back, and the way he dismissed the Impala, and I just can't believe there's not something wrong!